Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Fri Aug 9 16:14:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Try Wikipedia, which claims to have a page named
> "Intercapitalization" but actually doesn't -- one is redirected to
> CamelCase ... where "intercapitalization" doesn't even appear as a synonym.

But you will find "InterCaps or intercapping." "InterCaps" is what I
learned to call it on Usenet.


>>Has anyone mentioned the term "intercapitation" for what's been called
>>CamelCase? That's the term that's been used in our household. It would
>>also cover things like iMac. However, can't find it in W3, OED3,
>>Wordnik, GoogleBooks, or Google. There is one hit in GB, but it's a
>>document from the college where both my husband & I work, so I suspect
>>that that's due to us. Perhaps the correct form of the term is
>>"intercapitalization": I did turn up some hits for that:
>>As for "unicase", I like it, but we have to add the modifiers "minuscule
>>unicase" and "majuscule unicase" to distinguish between what's been
>>called zwicky case AND SHOUTING, both of which are "unicases."
>>---Amy West
>>On 8/9/13 12:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>>>Date:    Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:29:38 -0400
>>>From:    "Joel S. Berson"<Berson at ATT.NET>
>>>Subject: Re: KamelBuchstaben
>>>At 8/7/2013 12:06 AM, W Brewer wrote:
>>>> >And inadditionto unspaced, dehyphenated Compoundconcatenation,
>>>> capitalizing
>>>> >all Nouns would enhance translationsoftware Accuracy. Der Meinung bin ich.
>>>Having been educated in the 18th Century, I like this Idea.  And it
>>>would inherently be CamelCased -- all Parts of CompoundNouns would
>>>have InitialCaps.

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list