"to huck" = "bother, harass verbally"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 26 15:07:23 UTC 2013

! A very provocative suggestion.  Especially with the Wordpress
article claiming "shortened versions of the phrase, such as "You
don't have to hock me about it!" proliferate on TV and the movies,
particularly where the speaker is intended to represent a resident of
NYC even if not Jewish."  (Citations would be useful, however.)

My friend doesn't (didn't, since I think she must have picked this up
as a young person) have Yiddish speakers in her family or extended
family, as far as I know.  Acquaintances?  In any case, I'll ask.

I do, but would never have thought to connect "huck" with the
expression ""hokn a chaynik", which I did hear around the house from
Yiddish-speaking parents and aunts when I was a young person around
the same time my friend was.

Joel