Quote: Give 'em what they want. (George Jessel March 8, 1942)

Wed Dec 4 14:39:39 UTC 2013

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Same vein, supposedly Oscar Levant, at some studio heads
> funeral, "Well you give the people what they want and they'll
> show up."

Thanks for your response, Paul. Yes, that is another famous Hollywood
tale which is listed in the Yale Book of Quotations and other
references. YBQ has a valuable 1967 cite attributing the joke to
comedian Red Skelton who was discussing Harry Cohn.

Back in 2006 Bonnie Taylor-Blake performed wonderful work identifying
the earliest currently known citations. Here are two cites:

[ref] 1942 March 8, Washington Post,  Strictly Screwball by Katharine
Brush, Quote Page L1, Column 3 and 4, Washington, D.C. (ProQuest)

[Begin excerpt]
And there was George Jessel's boxofficeish remark about a funeral
which was drawing enormous crowds of people into a church door as he
passed—"Well, there you are, you see," said Jessel. "Give 'em what
they want."
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1955 August 13, The Saturday Review, TV and Radio: The $64,00
Answer by Goodman Ace, Start Page 23, Quote Page 23, Saturday Review
Associates, New York. (Unz)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
THEY tell the story of George Jessel's once passing a funeral home
where a celebrity lay in state and the crowd waiting to file by for a
last glimpse was four-deep.

"You see," said the veteran showman, "you give the people what they
want and they'll come."
[End excerpt]

Skipping forward to 1958. Here is a fun Groucho cite that Stephen
Goranson kindly verified.

[ref] 1958 May 11, The Observer, At The Theatre: Musing Out Loud by
Kenneth Tynan, Quote Page 15, Column 2, London, UK. (ProQuest)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
But that reminds me of Groucho Marx's comment when 3,000 people turned
up at the funeral of a commercially successful but universally
detested Hollywood mogul. "You see what I mean?' he said. 'Give the
public what they want, and they'll come to see it."
[End excerpt]

Here is a link to Bonnie's message in the archive:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0608C&L=ADS-L&P=R7029

Garson

Continuing Paul Johnson's message