Quote: You cannot fool all the people all the time (Jacques Abbadie; Prohibitionists)

Sun Dec 8 18:02:56 UTC 2013

Thanks for your response JL. The saying did inspire the construction
of some anti-proverbs. Here are two precursors followed by two
instances of a common anti-proverb. The cites here seem rather late
given the age of the proverb and probably can be improved.

[ref] 1896 June 09, The Knoxville Journal (Daily Journal and Journal
and Tribune), "H. Clay Evans. Will Take Care of Our Bob All Right, in
Good Shape", Start Page 2, Quote Page 2, Knoxville, Tennessee.
(GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
They know—because they have tried it—that they "can fool all the
people a part of the time and a part of the people all the time" but
they have found out that they "can't fool all of the people all the
time." So the question that mostly concerns them now is can they still
fool enough of the people to keep themselves in power?
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1896 October 05, The Evening Journal (Jersey Journal), From
State Exchanges: Editorial Opinions on Current Topics, Quote Page 4,
Column 4, Jersey City, New Jersey. (GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
The Newark News got a snap shot at Bryan which moved it to say: "Mr.
Bryan doubtless takes comfort and encouragement from one famous saying
of Mr. Lincoln. 'You can fool some people all the time, and all the
people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the
time,' said the great President. Mr. Bryan has no desire to fool all
the people all the time. If he could fool enough of them to elect him
President on Nov. 8, he would be quite well contented."
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1900 May 06, The Sunday Herald (Boston Herald), Current Fun,
Quote Page 46, Column 7, Boston, Massachusetts. (GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Once upon a time some Reformers, looking very ferocious, came upon
some Ordinary Persons. All this in a certain large and populous town.
"Can you show us any tiger's tracks?" asked the Reformers.
"We can show you a tiger," replied the Ordinary Persons.
"All we want is tracks!" protested the Reformers and went their way
with much noise and were all presently elected to fat offices, it
being possible always to fool enough of the people enough of the
time.—Puck.
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1908 October 28, The Sydney Mail, Humourist, (Freestanding short
joke), Quote Page 2, Column 1, Sydney, Australia. (Google News
Archive)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
"I should think you'd go slow," said the cautious friend, "You know,
as Lincoln said, you can fool all the people some of the time, and
some of the people'"----
"That's all right," interrupted the sharper, "but I find it's always
possible to fool enough of the people enough of the time."
[End excerpt]

Garson