colder than a witch's kiss

Sat Dec 14 19:11:59 UTC 2013

Here are some other examples of cold knockouts expressed with
figurative language. (GB dates may be inaccurate):

1941: knocked him colder than a frozen mackerel
1941: If I hadn't ducked he would have knocked me colder than a pop sickle
1948: hit my head on a rock, and knocked myself colder than a well
digger's feet.
1950: It knocked me colder than a healthy dog's nose.
1951: Any place but Terre Haute he'd have knocked me colder than a
welldigger's ass.
1952: he knocked me colder than a fish.
1991: It knocked me colder than a cuckoo,
1984: it knocked me colder than a flounder
2003: They knocked me colder than a steer with a sledge-hammer.
2005: he almost got knocked colder than a cucumber.
2007: It hit me above the right ear and knocked me colder than a
winter's midnight,
2010: someone came in behind me and knocked me colder than an icicle in January

Perhaps more than one meaning can be assigned to W Brewer's example.

"It was a blow that knocked me colder than a witch's kiss."

The phrase "witch's kiss" may have been a simple substitute for a
reference to a witch's breast satisfying 1951 censors as suggested.
Yet, an alternative analysis stems from the bewitching nature of the
archetype. The kiss might have been overpowering and intoxicating
enough to render an individual unconscious. The two interpretations
may overlay one another to yield a richer meaning. Those 1951 radio
serial writers were clever.