"Bet a fat man"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 17 12:54:54 UTC 2013

I'm not convinced, for exactly the reason Wilson suggests. How many people
would have known in 1934 that there was a fat man on a $1000 bill?

(The obesity of Grover Cleveland, BTW, was definitively exceeded by that of
the far more weighty, bathtub entrapped William Howard Taft.  It is said
that having been trapped by his girth in the White House bathtub cost him
the chance to appear on any U.S. currency note whatsoever.*)

An "iron man" (or even a "man," though I can't check teh dates right now)
was another synonym for a dollar. Maybe a "fat man" suggested a bigger,
better dollar. Beats me.

 JL

*Source: my own insight into how things work.