"Sissies, fairies, pansies gay"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 17 17:23:11 UTC 2013

A check of GB shows (most irritatingly) that "pansies gay" was something of
a cliche' description of flowering pansies ever since William Shenstone
wrote his oft-reprinted "Irregular Ode after Sickness" in 1758.

"Gay pansies" is the more prosaic and more frequent form (1717: ECCO).

So "gay" means "gay" even in this case.

Whether it also means "homosexual" seems unknowable.

So the brackets must remain. It does seem possible that the old association
of "gay" with "pansies" may have helped promote the newer sense - a little.

JL