gist/just eggcorn?

Fri Jun 21 18:19:13 UTC 2013

Urban dictionary has an entry for: "just of it"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=just%20of%20it

[Begin excerpt]
just of it

to gain suffient knowledge on a certain subject
"i believe paige has got the just of it." says sakku kakku.
"yes, she knows whats up!" exclaimed britney.

by awtistic boy18 Apr 12, 2008
[End excerpt]

Maybe the rationale for using the word "just" involves obtaining or
imparting "just enough knowledge"?

Here is a question and two answers on Yahoo! Answers:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521083138AAbBXpm

[Begin excerpt]
Which phrase is correct, "I get the just of it," or "I get the jist of it"?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
It's GIST
   40% 2 Votes
    5 years ago

Jist!
    5 years ago
0% 0 Votes

[End excerpt]

Here is a comment added to the word "gist" at the Merriam-Webster.
This comment, in my opinion, provides evidence that "just" may only be
a spelling error for some people.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gist

[Begin excerpt]
Lyndel Littleton · Worship Pastor at Hilldale Baptist Church
I was using it in an e-mail and it showed "jist" as an incorrectly
spelled word, so I was looking for the proper spelling. Ha! Never
thought of it starting with a "g." Perhaps because here in the South
people say "jist" for "just" all the time.
· October 29, 2012 at 7:25am
[End excerpt]

Eggcorn Forum
'just' for 'gist'