MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference Quotes

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 5 07:17:33 UTC 2013

These are all from ESPN. Brian Burke, [former] hockey coach, had a
couple of QOTD-worthy zinger, and there were a few others.

Two of Burke's gems, plus a few more quotables from him:

> "The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and
> the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.”
>
> "Statistics are like a lamppost to a drunk: useful for support but not
> for illumination.”
>
> "If you're looking at statistics alone and saying 'we're drafting this
> guy,' good luck. I hope you're in my division."
>
> "When you're losing, the sports page only has value if you own a puppy
> or a parakeet."
>
> "If I overpay a player, it's not because there's a revolver to my
> head, it's because I'm an idiot."

Another [oldie] from a Harvard Business School prof:

> "If you're not at the table, you're on the menu."

ESPN is not really in the quotes business, so the rest of the commentary
that they have is much more prosaic. Cuban had a few comments worthy of
note, but none that would survive on their own.

VS-)