"phonetically"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 6 17:27:13 UTC 2013

On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:36 AM, Lisa Galvin wrote:

> The Redd Foxx quote now reminds me of the time I was reading something about Julio Iglesias, and the article told the reader that, at the time he recorded the duet with Willie Nelson "To All the Girls I've Loved Before", he spoke no English and therefore had to sing the (English) lyrics "phonetically", that is, without understanding what the words meant.

--and I could imagine using that to describe the way I read Hebrew out load for my bar mitzvah, especially since in that case what I was reading was a quasi-phonetic transcription in the form of a transliteration.  You sort of need that for English too I imagine, if you only know Spanish, but not so much vice versa.  But I agree with Jon that it's odd to talk about *speaking* one's native language phonetically.  But I guess one could read English phonetically as a native speaker if one were illiterate with respect to ordinary orthography but could read IPA, say.

LH