Antedating of "Jeep"

Wed Mar 13 03:09:11 UTC 2013

Fred Shapiro, wrote:
> The following citation appears to be an antedating of "jeep" (OED 1941).  H=
> owever, this usage differs somewhat from later usage, since the OED entry r=
> efers to the "jeep" as being small, whereas the citation below seems to be =
> describing a large motorized Army vehicle.
>
> 1940 _L.A. Times_ 13 Aug. 4 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers)   Warriors Fee=
> d by Jeep Gang   Southern Californians Bring in Supplies on Mechanical Mons=
> ters ... Among their [the California National Guard's] rolling stock [word =
> or words cut off] new reconnaissance cars facetiously dubbed Jeeps, have at=
> tracted most attention.  With each [word or words cut off] its high wheels =
> supplied with separate drive when needed, [word or words cut off] monstrous=
>  cars will cover extremely rough territory.

Fred: The PDF image from ProQuest for this individual article in the
Los Angeles Times does cut off some text, but I think that the
full-page image does allow one to view the missing text. Here it is:

[Begin excerpt]
Among their rolling stock the
new reconnaissance cars faceti-
ously dubbed Jeeps, have attract-
ed most attention. With each of
its high wheels supplied with
separate drive when needed, the
monstrous cars will cover ex-
tremely rough territory.
[End excerpt]

Note to new list members: The ADS archives have long discussion
threads about the word Jeep and its history which Jon Lighter and
others have investigated.