Antedating of "Jeep"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 13 04:31:22 UTC 2013

Apparently, there was once more than one form of machinery known as a _Jeep_.

Popular Mechanics - Jan 1941
books.google.com/books?id=ftkDAAAAMBAJ
Vol. 75, No. 1 - Magazine - Full view
Fitted between a tractor-truck with ten wheels, and a gooseneck
semi-trailer with sixteen more, the Jeep puts a total of forty-two ...
Nearly half of their jobs, and all jobs that roll on a _Jeep_, require
special highway permits for excess weight, width, ...

Western trucking - Page 33
books.google.com/books?id=PXk_AAAAIAAJ
1940 - Snippet view - More editions
Semi-trailer jeep used between two axle tractor and semi-trailer.
Demonstration ... It has been named _a "jeep."_ The _jeep_ consists of
a single axled vehicle with fifth wheel attachment, which rides
directly behind a two axled tractor. It in turn bears …

Popular Science - Feb 1940 - Page 121
books.google.com/books?id=2CYDAAAAMBAJ
Vol. 136, No. 2 - Magazine - Full view
_"JEEP". This is the "jeep," or Link Trainer used in teaching._ THE
night was black and moonless, but as Flying Cadet Rick Jones sat at
the dual controls of his sleek Army BT-9 monoplane, it looked to him
as if he could reach up and pick a ...

Nothing's too big for the super-movers, the four Belyea brothers - Jan
1941 - Page 82
books.google.com/books?id=ftkDAAAAMBAJ
Popular Mechanics - Vol. 75, No. 1 - Magazine - Full view
NOTHING'S TOO BIG Easing 150-ton load from ftatcars to barge (above)
without a splash was a ticklish job. Right, hoisting forty-ton sugar
dryer into third floor. Below, _the seventy-nine foot "Jeep" rig with
forty-two wheels_ hauls a big transformer ...

--
-Wilson
-----