Phrases and firing offenses: big dongles; forking a repo

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 26 03:19:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Amy West <medievalist at w-sts.com> wrote:
> And frankly "dongle" has been used with juvenile connotations since day
> one ( and that may have been a reason to use that word. . .)

Perhaps influenced by the old - IME, since 1960 - "dingled by the
dangling dong."

Semiotics of poetry - Page 177
books.google.com/books?id=_OZrAAAAIAAJ
Michael Riffaterre - 1978 - Snippet view
... (the _capital_* being a significant emphasis, a philosophical
symbol, a sign of Fate's inexorability):

he got fucked by the fickle finger of Fate

and (2) where the converter is the initial of Destiny:

he got dingled by the dangling dong of Destiny.

* "Capital"?! How does Riffaterre know that capital initials are used
for "fate" and "destiny," in this saying?

--
-Wilson
-----