"icon"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun May 5 14:26:31 UTC 2013

At 5/5/2013 07:54 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>In today's version, it's "_slain_ Civil Rights icon Emmett Till."  Usually
>the phrase you hear is "slain Civil Rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King,"
>but since Till wasn't a "leader," the only alternative in media Inglish is
>"icon."

This is exactly why I wondered about a progression (in some people's
and cable networks' minds).

An alternative to "leader" for Emmett Till might be "martyr" (more
honored and significant than simply a "victim").  We all know who the
greatest martyr in human history is.  He has become an idol.  And
icons have been painted, carved, etc. for him.

Thus "martyr" to "idol" to "icon".

Joel