"icon"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 5 17:47:52 UTC 2013

But it isn't, you know, kind of a downer to call somebody a "martyr" right
there on TV?  And isn't that a word favored by Islamic fundamentalist
suicide/homicide bombers?

No, the associations are all wrong.

"Slain Civil Rights victim...." is a definite contender.

On the other hand, no one is really a "victim" unless they choose to be.
They are "survivors." So "slain Civil Rights survivor..." should work.

JL