Facebook: "The _mother-load_ of recordings!" [NT]

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 11 07:34:16 UTC 2013

WB lexicon check for <lode> vs. <load>
3:00 p.m. (1) My unspoiled <load/lode> semantic field (pre-dictionary
check): (a) <motherlode> is correct (a mine full of gold, with all the
warmth of motherhood, with an exotic Germanic-sounding root <<*lode>>
sounding like something wonderful & romantic); a fuzzy connection with
<lodestone> (a precious gem?) and <lodestar> (WTF does that mean? A famous
diamond?). (b) <motherload> is just plain iggorant spelling, smells like
the biggest load of crap I'd ever seen).
3:20 p.m. (2) Post-dictionary check (for the 1st time in my life, maybe) of
<motherlode> vis-a-vis <motherload> using my authoritative pre-1970
reference materials: (a) no notice of <motherload>. (b) Better put a space
in there, JL: <mother lode> (WB doesn't like the space either). (c)
<loadstar> is a guiding star? Like a magnetic compass, I guess. Yes, I
know, the etymology is 'road' or something. (d) And (WTF?) <lode> ~ <load>
are mere spelling variants; <lode-> obviously having a semantic
specialization, but recently in process of being compromised for <mother->,
just as it has for been for <-stone> & <-star>.