"offshore/onshore" adv., or prep.?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 20 17:23:06 UTC 2013

Dan's message forces me to admit that I am thoroughly confused as to
the criteria for deciding whether each of the various instances given
on ADS-L, and in the OED, should be classified as adverb or preposition.

Take "onshore".  The OED does not list it as a preposition (it does
list "offshore" as a preposition).  (Both entries are 3rd edition, 2004.)

Some uses called adverbial by the OED:
1835   J. Ross Narr. 2nd Voy. xi. 173   Part of the crew was sent on
shore for exercise.
1993   D. Lamb Sense of Place 29   Lewis walked onshore, making notes
on topography, flora and fauna.

One of Dan's instances below is:
2011  The Bakr W G1 and Bakr W H fields were discovered onshore the
Gulf of Suez

I admit that Dan doesn't explicitly call this a prepositional use,
but he wrote in response to "offshore" "used the same way" -- that
is, presented in previous messages as "prepositional".  What is the
difference between these examples?  I could ask the same question
about some of the examples of "offshore".

I think I understand adjectival instances; and some of the examples
given here previously seem to me to be adjectival.  For example, from
Ben's message:

"Apache drills globally, with operations in Australia, Alaska,
Canada, Egypt and offshore England."
"examples from the Triassic of onshore and offshore England and
Northern Ireland"

These can't be prepositional (or adverbial), can they, when preceded
by the prepositions "in" and "of"?

Joel