"lanechtskipt" =? "landish-ship"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Nov 12 20:10:34 UTC 2013

Certainly not a name for a North American
animal.  A Native American name for an
African/Asian animal?  Seems unlikely.  When the
first camel in America, in 1721, was exhibited in
Boston "just arrived from Africa", it was called
a "camel".  While it is quite possible that the
exhibitor of 1735 might have pretended that his
camel was the first, and given it a new name, why
Native American?  There weren't very many in the
towns of New England in 1735, although perhaps one went to see the camel.

I give greater probability to my speculation:  A
Dutch word or phrase spoken by the Dutch ship
captain who brought it to the entrepĂ´t of Boston,
to the New England exhibitor who bought it from
him, which term connoted "ship of the desert", a
common way of referring to the camel in English
(documentable from the later 18th century at least) and long used in Arabic.

Joel