Ancient wisdom, or my own?

Thu Oct 17 20:33:30 UTC 2013

I haven't had time to search yet. Harry Truman employed a saying that
was thematically similar. In this variant of the saying the dismount
is too difficult to attempt. Ralph Keyes lists the expression in his
book of Truman quotes and Google Books shows a snippet:

[ref] 1995, The Wit & Wisdom of Harry Truman, Edited by Ralph Keyes,
Page 56, HarperCollins Publishers, New York. (Verified on paper)[/ref]
[Begin excerpt]
Being a president is like riding a tiger. A man has to keep on riding
or be swallowed.
[End excerpt]

Keyes says the quotation is on page one of:  Truman, Harry S. 1956.
Memoirs. Volume 2, Years of Trial and Hope. Garden City, New York:
Doubleday.

A snippet in Google Books shows the following extended quote on page
one of a volume in Truman's Memoirs

[Begin excerpt]
Within the first few months I discovered that being a President is
like riding a tiger. A man has to keep on riding or be swallowed.
[End excerpt]

Garson