Quotation? (time travel's strongest counterargument)

Wed Sep 11 08:20:44 UTC 2013

Apologies for the number of messages. Here is the last update (from
me) on this topic for at least 24 hours:

Below is an excerpt from the "Chronology Protection Conjecture" paper
by Stephen Hawking in the journal Physical Review D. I downloaded the
paper from the online APS database. The paper was submitted to the
journal on September 23, 1991. So a draft was probably in circulation
by that date or earlier.

If the CP conjecture is true then currently proposed time-machine
mechanisms would be physically impossible. Hawking was arguing for the
truth of the conjecture in the paper.

The excerpt shows the last two sentences of the paper. The quotation
in the Chicago Tribune might be based on the last sentence below. But
the sentence actually discusses the CP conjecture and not time travel
in general, so it does not work well as a stand-alone quotation. The
April 1992 Science article quoted parts of the final sentence.

Journal: Physical Review D
Volume: 46
Issue: 2
Issue Date: July 15, 1992
Article Title: Chronology protection conjecture