Graffito: "To Be Is To Do" "To Do Is To Be" "Do Be Do Be Do"

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Mon Sep 16 15:47:18 UTC 2013

"Do be do be do" or "doobie doobie doo" famously comes at the end of
Strangers in the Night, 1966. We were telling the Socrates-Sartre-Sinatra
joke when I was in college, 67-71. In 1978 I nicknamed my then-future (and
still) wife "Doobie Doo", inspired partly by Sinatra.
DAD

Poster:       Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Graffito: "To Be Is To Do" "To Do Is To Be" "Do Be Do Be
              Do"
---

According to Google Books
"frank sinatra" socrates sartre "to be is to do" "to do is to be" "do be do
be do"
are found in The Butterfly Kid by Chester Anderson (1967),
but I have not seen to book to attempt to confirm this.

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/

The 1982 novel "Deadeye Dick" by Kurt Vonnegut mentioned the following
piece of graffiti:

    To be is to do - Socrates.
    To do is to be - Jean-Paul Sartre.
    Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra.

There are many versions of this graffito. It is listed in Cassell's
Humorous Quotations (2001), Penguin Dictionary of Modern Quotations
(1980) and Encyclopedia of Graffiti (1974).

Victor Steinbok contacted me off-list and suggested this would be an
interesting topic for research. Thanks Victor!

The earliest relevant cite I have located appeared in the Dallas
Morning News on Januarys 29, 1968. Here is a link to the QI article:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/16/do-be-do/

The graffito evolved over several decades and many philosophers and
authors have been substituted into the template including: Dale
Carnegie, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Jean-Paul Sartre, Albert Camus,
John Stuart Mill, William James, William Shakespeare, and Bertrand
Russell. The punchline ascribed to Frank Sinatra, in some form, is
usually preserved.