Graffito: "To Be Is To Do" "To Do Is To Be" "Do Be Do Be Do"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 17 00:31:43 UTC 2013

On Sep 16, 2013, at 8:00 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:

> Thanks for your responses DAD and Wilson. It is interesting, I think,
> that sometimes a major personality will be linked to a signature
> statement / vocalization that is inaccurate or distorted:
>
> Cary Grant: Judy, Judy, Judy.
> James Cagney: You dirty rat.

Not to (hereby) mention all those sports figures, e.g.
Vince Lombardi: "Winning isn't everything, it's the *only* thing"
Leo Durocher: "Nice guys finish last"
Yogi Berra: possibly everything he was supposed to have said, including "I didn't say half the things I said"

although I guess of these only Lombardi is linked to, or defined by, one particular (non-)statement.

And then there are fictional ones, like Sherlock Holmes's "Elementary, my dear Watson" or Ilsa(Ingrid Bergman's character in Casablanca)'s "Play it again, Sam."

LH