Plimsoll line

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 22 04:14:58 UTC 2013

OED does have a full entry for Plimsoll that includes a mention of
"Plimsoll line".

> 1. Naut. attrib. and in the genitive. Chiefly with capital initial.
> Designating a marking or series of markings on the side of a merchant
> ship which indicates, in British maritime law, the draught level to
> which the ship may be loaded with cargo (now consisting of a set of
> six such marks applying to different sea conditions); esp. in Plimsoll
> line, Plimsoll's mark (also Plimsoll mark), Plimsoll's pancake. Also fig.

Other than the latest (1993) example, there is a padding of figurative
examples (1961, 1964, 1978). But there is one fairly direct meaning that
is missing completely.

Commercial glassware specifically intended for beer now often carries a
"pour line" that marks the supposed proper volume for the glass (the
rest of the space presumably filled with "head"). This is not a random
customer-friendly move--a number of European countries take proper fills
quite seriously and punish violators for fraud. In Germany, a stern
warning has been issued to vendors at Oktoberfest to pour full amounts
or risk prosecution and rather stiff fines. The specifics are beside the
point, as the issue is the use of "Plimsoll line" to describe this mark
on glassware.

I'm not sure how long this has been in circulation, but it is quite well
established.

http://wontgetlost.com/scuttlebuttbeer/barfly.htm

http://goo.gl/ERMDZx

http://goo.gl/Q1n1GN
> As I was having a beer at Gordon Biersch I got to thinking about the
> Plimsoll Line on the glassware and the origins of the line. In the
> beer world a Plimsoll Line is a line which designates the minimum
> amount of liquid beer in the glass to have a proper pour. In some
> countries it is actually law, but in the US it is just a mark on the
> glass. In reality Samuel Plimsoll created a line around ships to be
> able to determine their depth. On a ship many call the Plimsoll Line a
> waterline.
>
> So the next time you are somewhere and get a glass with a line you
> know now the 30 second history of the line and can explain it to your
> fellow patrons who will view you as either a person with impressive
> beer knowledge or an idiot!

There's a relevant image at the last link.

VS-)