Antedating of "United States" and "United States of America"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 25 02:35:39 UTC 2013

Barry Popik brought the latest CSM article to the attention of some us
(including Fred) off-list last July. The article refers to "a letter
... discovered this past Memorial Day," but one may wonder, discovered
by whom? See:

Curtis Putnam Nettels, _George Washington and American Independence_
(1976), p. 232
http://books.google.com/books?id=NCcTAQAAMAAJ
On January 2, Washington's amanuensis, Stephen Moylan, proposed that
he be sent to Spain "with full and ample powers from the United States
of America." This highly important letter to Joseph Reed was
undoubtedly intended to be passed around among members of Congress. It
has a special meaning because, among the surviving records of the
time, it is the earliest paper in which appears the phrase: "The
United States of America."