[Ads-l] Newspaperarchive.com (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Thu Dec 4 19:12:54 UTC 2014

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I just noticed something which may be of interest to some of the list.

I don't have a direct subscription to Newspaperarchive.com, but I can access their papers through the Mid-Continent Public Library and through WorldVitalRecords.com.

I would have thought that they would give the same results, but they don't.  To be exhaustive, I need to search through both of them -- one can provide hits that the other one does not.

Now I wonder how consistent a search directly through Newspaperarchive's own search engine is with either of the two library proxies.

Results for "kid canfield" in West Virginia during the 1930s (Canfield was a vaudeville performer who died during a radio interview in Bluefield on 3/12/1935):

MCPL:  9 hits
WVR:  45 hits, at least 10 of which are "good" hits, with multiple false positives (it treats "kid canfield" which should be a phrase, as kid + canfield)
NA: 9 hits (without a subscription, I can't see anything other than a reported total)

Newspaper.com, whose collection seems to substantially overlap that of Newspaperarchive, reports 7 hits. All of them are included in the Newspaperarchive results above.