[Ads-l] OT: Afrikaans "Bollemakiesie"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Dec 23 21:46:39 UTC 2014

Afrikaans has a word "Bollemakiesie". Would anyone know its etymology? Beneath my signoff is a brief general discussion of the word.
Gerald Cohen

[From Internet]:
"Along the way,...the question comes to me: what is Bollemakiesie?
For anyone curious, it literally means something like 'somersault' or 'head over heels'. It suggests joy and exuberance. Most days and certainly every week, I see something around me in Cape Town or from the world at large that makes me go wow, I'm glad that exists, I'm grateful to see that.
"Bollemakiesie is a uniquely South African expression as far as I know, though likely has a Dutch root. In response to being daunted by the scope and quality of the blogs I enjoy, I wonder: what can I share with you that will be worthwhile and make you want to 'bollemakiesie' too? ..."