[Ads-l] "Neatist"

Yagoda, Ben byagoda at UDEL.EDU
Sat Dec 27 15:39:06 UTC 2014

I'd guess "neatist" is a coinage by Scott and Borgman, especially as it works differently from the general run of modern "-ist" words (sometimes serious, usually fanciful or derisive) that follow from "racist": "ageist," "speciesist," "heightist," etc. The root is is a noun (not an adjective like "neat"), and the logic isn't biased *against* the noun (say, "height"), but biased *on the basis* of it.

So the better word would be "neatnessist." But that wouldn't work in the comic, of course, because, as Jeremy would say, it's so awkward.

Ben