Youneverknow.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 5 05:43:13 UTC 2014

Does the Hathi use Google as its source? The two agree, in this case, even
to the Hathi's providing the rough equivalent of a snippet view: the
apparently-spurious info that the relevant words are on p.5 in v.2, and
nothing else. If the HT does use GB as its source, then, clearly, the HT is
useless as a means of checking the GB.

OTOH, I've often been able to get a .pdf from the HT, when there's none
available from  GB.

Youneverknow.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Youneverknow.

>  Wilson Gray wrote
> >
> > The publication-date of this book predates the release-date - 1967 - of
> the
> > song, "Different Strokes," by Syl Johnson, by six years. It's possible
> that
> > a view of the preceding matter in the book will show that Lambert's use
> of
> > the phrase is different from that of Johnson. IAC, the song was
> > written by Johnny
> > Cameron and John Zachary - whoever they are/were - and not by Johnson.
> So,
> > that's it, then.
> >
> > A Study of the Roles of Attitudes and Motivation in Second Language
> > Learning: Final Technical Report, November 25, 1961, Volume 2, Page 5
> > books.google.com/books?id=3Dj0soAAAAMAAJ
> > Wallace E. Lambert - 1961 - =E2=80=8ESnippet view
> >
> > "And l think this is the most important element to retain[:] _different
> > strokes for different folks!_"
>
> Wilson and fellow ADS-Lers: The date given by GB is inaccurate in this
> case, I believe. Here is a discussion of the detection and diagnosis
> of this problem that may be helpful to others.
>
> If you probe the volume by searching for 1971 then snippets are
> displayed that indicate that parts of the volume (data object) were
> actually published after 1971.
>
> Short link   http://bit.ly/1jeecAQ
>

> http://books.google.com/books?id=j0soAAAAMAAJ&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=1971
>
> Apparently, two or more books have been pasted together electronically
> in the database. This is a known error mechanism in GB. To try to
> locate the second book containing the target quotation I grabbed a
> phrase that was visible in a snippet containing 1971. i.e., "working
> with youngsters in Kansas city".
>
> Searching GB for this phrase presented a match in the following book:
>
> Year: 1972
> Title: Let's try doing something else kind of thing: behavioral
> principles and the exceptional child, a report
> Author: Council for Exceptional Children
>
> Searching for the word "strokes" in the 1972 volume and in the
> incorectly labeled 1961 volume produced closely matching snippets.
> Both are labeled page 5:
>
> Short link   http://bit.ly/Mssa3O
>

> http://books.google.com/books?id=d87Tp4VYAGYC&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=strokes
>
> Short link   http://bit.ly/1cT72OP