Antedating of "Sci-Fi"

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 19 19:07:07 UTC 2014

> On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:53 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

"Skiffy" seems to have appeared as a pronunciation in the 1970s, and was (and probably still is) used to describe lowest-common-denominator SF. Damon Knight proposed pronouncing "sci-fi" as "skiffy" in his collection "Turning Points," although I can't say whether he was the first to do so. The critic Susan Wood is often associated with this use.

People also use the spelling "skiffy", but generally in a self-deprecating or insider-joking kind of way.

Damon Broderick has a good summation of these uses here: http://goo.gl/GMWRnv

Jeff