childfree

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 31 00:17:46 UTC 2014

The Wackipedia article on CNN anchor Carol Costello remark (under "Personal
Life") that "Costello is childfree."  Period.

The word was featured on the cover of Time last summer, though there it
modified "life" rather than a named person.

In Wacki it means "having and wanting no children."  Contrast "childless."

Fair enough, but the suffix "-free" in this case seems a little creepy.  As
though to gloat, "Thank God I don't have any of those little brats!" (Cf.
"germ-free.")

JL