Petro?

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 10 13:44:47 UTC 2014

Progress report on <<Petro Oleksiyovych Poroshenko>>. CNN reporters are still
saying [PEH-troh] vs. Ukrainian [pih-TRO]. (IPA gets trashed here, of
course.). Getting IPA information on Ukrainian has proven a real challenge.

Below, I romanize Cyrillic spellings to accommodate the Western reader.
Ukrainian website transcriptions are really awkward.

S'S (disyllabic idionyms, stress on ultima):

 Pe'tro, Pa'vlo, Dmi'tro, Lev'ko, Slav'ko, Hrits'ko, Yur'ko

S'SS (trisyllabic idionyms, stress on penult):

Da'nilo, Ki'rilo, Mi'khailo

Ukrainian masculine names ending in <-o> are declined in the second
declension.

E.g. Da'nilo (nominative), Da'nila (probably genitive), Da'nilu
(probably dative),
Da'nilom (instrumental??).

  Saw today a CNN report on a Ukrainian cyberbot, that fooled interrogators
into thinking it was a 13-year-old human, by its consistent use of
indirection & deflection; very reminiscent of the responses I get from
<L imwitty>.
Hmm... Witty R Us.