Virtual Ticketing

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 10 16:40:13 UTC 2014

I won tickets to The Public Theater's "virtual ticketing" process for
Shakespeare in the Park (at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park in NYC).

The tickets I receive are real tickets, not virtual ones.

The process is an online lottery, for those of us too busy (or who just
can't be bothered) to sit on the (today, possibly wet) grass for 4-8 hours.
I guess they are thinking of it as a virtual equivalent of the actual line
in the park, but since it is a lottery, it isn't equivalent.

I have been struck by this usage of 'virtual' for several years, and was
reminded of it again today.

DanG