"bucket things" (to do before one kicks it)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 11 19:25:47 UTC 2014

--a spin-off of the afore-discussed "bucket list", appearing here without explanation by speaker (Miami Heat veteran basketball forward Shane Battier, on whether he'd consider coaching) or reporter:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/sports/basketball/kidd-and-fisher-carve-new-niche-for-veterans-coachs-office.html

Miami’s Shane Battier, a relative youngster at 35, offered the money quote when asked whether he might be viewing the next phase of his professional life any differently now that Fisher has followed the Nets’ Jason Kidd in making an immediate transition from playing to coaching.

“Five years and $25 million will make anyone think differently about future plans,” Battier said before Game 3 of the N.B.A. finals at American Airlines Arena.

Battier has said that only an “act of God” would keep him from retiring after this season, and he is considered a prime candidate to enter the broadcasting industry. But he also said: “For me, I don’t know. I’ve got a lot of bucket things I want to do, but I don’t cross anything off right now.”

LH