"left, right" [was: Cadence]

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Wed Jun 18 03:06:57 UTC 2014

This (http://www.americanheritage.com/content/hayfoot-strawfoot) purports
'hayfoot-strawfoot' to be in use during our Civil War.
Dave Hause, dwhause at cablemo.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilson Gray" <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: "left, right" [was: Cadence]

When I was at the Army Language School, we saw a film in which Red Army
recruits were shown with a bundle of hay on the bottoms of their left feet
and a bundle of straw on the bottoms of their right foot, as they quite
clumsily - the bundles were bigger than the soldiers' feet, about the size
of small sheafs - tried to get the hang of marching.

It was a silent film from way back when and was by no means meant to
illustrate the training methods of the contemporary Red Army of the '50's
and '60's.