automated

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 18 13:29:01 UTC 2014

"Occurring spontaneously according to pattern and without deliberate
management; self-acting."

Not quite in OED, though its def. includes the word "automatic." None of
its exx., however, apply to non-mechanized or non-industrial processes.

Like this one:

2012 Jason Crowley _The Psychology of the Athenian Hoplite_ (Cambridge:
Cambridge U.P.) 58 [caption]: Automated casualty replacement.

Crowley is characterizing the process by which physical pressure from the
spearman behind in the file of a tightly packed Athenian phalanx would
force the man in front toward the front rank to replace one who had fallen.

Not, in my view, "automated," though perhaps "automatic."

JL