To "choice into"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 8 16:37:28 UTC 2014

On May 8, 2014, at 12:26 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Another possible origin?  Going back a long time in the New York City
> public school system --apparently to the 1930s -- there have been a
> few high schools (early ones were Bronx Science; Music and Art;
> Stuyvesant) that students could choose to attend outside their
> district -- provided they were selected (accepted) by those
> schools.  I don't recall whether these schools were actually called
> "choice schools", but it seems possible.
>
> For today's system, see Wikipedia, "Specialized high schools in New York City".
>
> Joel

Also elementary schools, e.g. my alma mater Hunter College Elementary School, then at 69th and Park.  It's been around since 1940 but I can't recall it being referred to as a Choice School, either then or at reunions I've attended reunions (yes, we've had reunions of the sixth grade class of '56).

LH