To "choice into"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu May 8 16:26:43 UTC 2014

Another possible origin?  Going back a long time in the New York City
public school system --apparently to the 1930s -- there have been a
few high schools (early ones were Bronx Science; Music and Art;
Stuyvesant) that students could choose to attend outside their
district -- provided they were selected (accepted) by those
schools.  I don't recall whether these schools were actually called
"choice schools", but it seems possible.

For today's system, see Wikipedia, "Specialized high schools in New York City".

Joel