"War is God's way...."

Sun May 18 19:40:01 UTC 2014

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Possibly the hottest new misattributed quote is this:
>
> "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
>
> It is confidently assigned to "Ambrose Bierce, in his _Devil's
> Dictionary_."
>
> I immediately knew that was wrong...

Thanks for pointing to a new wave of popularity for this saying.
Comedian Jon Stewart has used it in the past according to quotation
compiler Robert Byrne. I researched the expression in 2013 after
receiving a request and found that the basic adage has been evolving
since the 1800s. Barry has a valuable entry on the topic here:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/god_created_war_so_that_americans_would_learn_geography/

As JL notes there is no substantive evidence that Ambrose Bierce spoke
or wrote the saying. Your interest (and others) gives this topic a
high priority.

The QI website has a new entry about another quotation that has been
misattributed to Ambrose Bierce:

Speak When You’re Angry and You’ll Make the Best Speech You’ll Ever Regret
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/05/17/angry-speech/

Strangely, the Oxford Book of American Quotations assigned this saying
to Bierce.

Garson

Continuing JL's message: