[Ads-l] Horse creature

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 6 19:58:05 UTC 2014

To try to provide a serious supposition, in contrast to most of the
others (just teasing, folks) --

A:  Various animals --

Michael's "horse creature" brings a faint trace of recollection of
seeing a similar usage in 18th or 17th-century works: "creature of
the X kind".

Generalizing, I googled books, 1650--1800, for "creature of the *
kind".  That produced for the asterisk:  hog, weasel, oppossum, goat,
panther, cat, serpent -- and "a Living Creature, of the Rational Or
Brute Kind".  (ECCO and EEBO also might be useful.)

Here "of the X kind" is not a redundancy, but a phrase indicating the
class of animals for which X is one example (one "kind").  Perhaps
that phrase became shortened to "X creature", e.g. in advertisements.

Leading to B:  Specific to horses --

The earliest advertisement in an American newspaper for a horse race
(1715) reads:

At Cambridge on Wednesday the 21st day of September next, will be Run
for, a Twenty Pound Plate, by any Horse, Mare or Gelding not
exceeding Fourteen and an half hands high, carrying 11 Stone Weight,
and any Person or Persons shall be welcome to Run his Horse &c.
entering the same with Mr. Pattoun at the Green Dragon in Boston ...
paying Twenty Shillings Entrance.

So "horse creature" may be a sex differentiator, to distinguish
horses from mares and geldings.  While "creature" does seem
redundant, perhaps it was conditioned by the "creature of the X kind" phrasing.

Joel