[Ads-l] testing intelligent quotes

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Oct 17 21:31:10 UTC 2014

Benjamin Barrett wrote (or didn't write):

START SELECTION

I am unable to see the smart quotes and have never gotten Chinese, =
Japanese or Korean correctly from the ADS list. Nevertheless, I=E2=80=99m =
not completely convinced that it=E2=80=99s an application issue.

END SELECTION

             Succinctly, UTF-8 in, ASCII out.

Right apostrophe in UTF-8 is represented by   e2 80 99

Thus, contracted I am becomes ...  I=E2=80=99m =  as above.

The = sign seems to be signalling that the following characters are in
UTF-8, but they don't get translated.

= also seems to occur when there's a word-wrap symbol in the original text.
What comes out of the sausage machine is a line break AND the = character.

MORAL:  If using Notepad, avoid any characters beyond those represented by
the first 128 characters of Unicode, where there's a one-to-one mapping of
UTF-8 and ASCII, *and* switch-off the word-wrap function before copying into
an email.

Health warning:  I worked that out via mousing around on google, so I may be
completely wrong.

Robin