[Ads-l] awesome sauce!

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 24 19:31:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> >
> > That was Paul Johnston, not me.  I've never heard anyone use "What's your
> > story?" as a greeting.
> >
> > However, back in the '70s there was a frequently aired TV commercial for a
> > local merchant (perhaps of electronics) whose pitchman was a burly
> > construction-worker type in a hard hat. The commercials would begin with a
> > chorus of strongly accented N'Yawkers inquiring, "Hey, Charlie! What's the
> > story???"
> >
> > Charlie would give his spiel about low prices, always ending with "And
> > that's the story!"
>
> http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/whats_the_story_jerry_jge_forget_about_it_tops_appliance_city

Here's a 1974 radio ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIKyB8Ufh7Q

Jerry then went into the disco business?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmZ7EyYWAZg

A commenter on Barry's site notes an earlier appearance in the 1970
movie "Lovers and Other Strangers." ("So, what's the story, Richie?"
is a recurring line from Richie's father Frank.)