[Ads-l] Victimhood Olympics

Indigo Som indigo at WELL.COM
Wed Dec 9 18:42:46 UTC 2015

This sounds to me like a conservative appropriation of in-house lefty "Oppression Olympics" --  similar to how lefty tongue-in-cheek "politically correct" was appropriated. I remember "Oppression Olympics" from the late 80s (at UC Berkeley specifically, but I'm pretty sure it was widespread amongst the college lefty crowd); it came up in pleas for what we now call intersectionality (perfectly captured in the book title "All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men, But Some Of Us Are Brave: Black Women's Studies"). Also whenever people were tempted to "compare oppressions" e.g. between different groups of people of color. "This isn't the Oppression Olympics" was a common reminder.

Sigh. We lefties can never laugh at ourselves or employ ironic self-deprecation without it being turned against us ;)

Anyway, Oppression Olympics has such a nice assonance that Victimhood Olympics can never have...

</de-lurk>
Indigo Som