[Ads-l] Motto: Nits will be lice. (Request EEBO verification in 1683)

Wed Dec 16 17:58:18 UTC 2015

A figurative expression has been attributed to soldiers and military
commanders. The merciless saying purports to provide a rationale for
the killing of children and infants during wartime. I was asked to
trace the saying. Here are some versions:

Nits become lice. Nits will become lice. Nits make lice. Nits will be lice.

In the 1860s the expression was linked to John M. Chivington. But the
saying is much older. H. L. Mencken noted in his massive compendium
that the saying has been ascribed to Oliver Cromwell.

There is a match for "nits will be lice" dated 1683 in Early English
Books Online 2. Perhaps someone with access to this database would be
willing to forward to me the full citation details and the matching
text (with some surrounding text).

[Begin match information]
Title: An impartial collection of the great affairs of state. From the
beginning of the Scotch rebellion in the year MDCXXXIX. To the murther
of King Charles I. Wherein the first occasions, and the whole series
of the late troubles in England, Scotland & Ireland, are faithfully
represented. Taken from authentic records, and methodically digested.
Author: Nalson, John, 1638?-1686.
Publication Info: London : Printed for S. Mearne, T. Dring, B. Tooke,
T. Sawbrige, and C. Mearne, M DC LXXXIII [i.e. 1683]
Collection: Early English Books Online 2
[End match information]

The earliest matches I've found in Google Books are dated 1720, 1761,
and 1765. The 1765 cite seems to refer to the 1683 cite mentioned
above.

Year: 1720 (estimated date listed in WorldCat)
Title: Familiar Letters Betwixt a Gentleman and a Lady