[Ads-l] Request for Modern Examples of Misquotation

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Dec 21 06:52:15 UTC 2015

My favorite modern misquotation is from Boswell's Life of Johnson. Boswell delivers himself of some conventional political platitudes, and Johnson tells him: "My dear friend, clear your mind of cant. You may talk as other people do: you may say to a man, 'Sir, I am your most humble servant.' You are not his most humble servant. … You may talk in this manner; it is a mode of talking in Society; but don't think foolishly."

In recent years the first sentence of Johnson’s reproach has acquired an apostrophe in its last word, as “Clear your mind of can’t," and now enjoys a second life as a slogan on inspirational posters featuring pictures of triumphant athletes, mountain climbers and the like. (See http://tinyurl.com/j7me92s)

Has so minimal an alteration of a quotation ever yielded a sentiment so antipathetic to its original sense?

Geoff