[Ads-l] "on-court gags =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=94_?=or reams, as the players called them "

Wed Dec 30 18:12:32 UTC 2015

JL gives the two main slang senses of "ream" that I was aware of.  I can't
conjure up a way to explain the sense of "laugh-inducing wizardry".

For the benefit of Gerald and others who take an interest in
names: Meadowlark Lemon's original name seems to be somewhat beclouded, but
his last name was indeed "Lemon", and he had several given names, one of
which was "Meadow".
"The facts of Lemon’s early life are hazy, and evidently he wanted it that
way. His birth date, birthplace and birth name have all been variously
reported. The date most frequently cited — and the likeliest — is April 25,
1932. Many sources say he was born in Wilmington, N.C., but The Wilmington
Star-News reported in 1996 that he was born in Lexington County, S.C., and
moved to Wilmington in 1938. His website says he was born Meadow Lemon,
though many other sources say his name at birth was George Meadow Lemon or
Meadow George Lemon. The Star-News said it was George Meadow Lemon III. He
became known as Meadowlark after he joined the Globetrotters."  (NYTimes)

GAT