[Ads-l] Blatt

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Feb 7 16:43:04 UTC 2015

There is a different answer at Yahoo! Answers -- that "blatt" means a
sheet, thus two pages, two sides.

"Can anyone tell me what the Jewish/Hebrew word "blatt" means in
English?  As in, "He studied two blatt of the Talmud a day." As used
in the Chosen by Chaim Potok. Thanks!"

Best Answer:
---------
"The Talmud is numbered in folios- so you talk about 2a. 2b.3a, 3b
etc referring to each side of the folio.

When you discuss the Talmud- the entire folio is referenced as a Daf
(so as you see in my profile I study a daf a day- i.e. a folio feach
[sic] day). One side of the folion is called an amud - in other
words- 2a on its own where the daf references both 2a and 2b.

In communities where Yiddish is commonly used- the term daf is
replaced by blatt to refer to the entire folio.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818175355AAVWM7b

If this is correct, the word English needs from Hebrew to refer to
either (an unspecified)side of a sheet is "amud", not "blatt" from
Yiddish?  (We have already borrowed "recto" and "verso" to refer to
specific sides.)

Joel