[Ads-l] Blatt

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 7 20:14:26 UTC 2015

I can offer 2 links, which highlight the way this term came to Russian
slang and acquired different meaning(s), albeit -- somehow! -- related to
the original...
Even though both versions of the Wikipedia's article are linked, their
contents and references differ, so I give you both:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%BB%D0%B0%D1%82

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blat_%28term%29

Just in case, I made them shorter:

http://tinyurl.com/p7js6s5 (Russian version)

http://tinyurl.com/mtzqvny (English version)

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Blatt

> There is a different answer at Yahoo! Answers -- that "blatt" means a
> sheet, thus two pages, two sides.
>
> "Can anyone tell me what the Jewish/Hebrew word "blatt" means in
> English?  As in, "He studied two blatt of the Talmud a day." As used
> in the Chosen by Chaim Potok. Thanks!"
>
> Best Answer:
> ---------
> "The Talmud is numbered in folios- so you talk about 2a. 2b.3a, 3b
> etc referring to each side of the folio.
>
> When you discuss the Talmud- the entire folio is referenced as a Daf
> (so as you see in my profile I study a daf a day- i.e. a folio feach
> [sic] day). One side of the folion is called an amud - in other
> words- 2a on its own where the daf references both 2a and 2b.
>
> In communities where Yiddish is commonly used- the term daf is
> replaced by blatt to refer to the entire folio.
> ----------
>
> https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818175355AAVWM7b
>
> If this is correct, the word English needs from Hebrew to refer to
> either (an unspecified)side of a sheet is "amud", not "blatt" from
> Yiddish?  (We have already borrowed "recto" and "verso" to refer to
> specific sides.)
>
> Joel
>

> At 2/6/2015 11:32 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
> >Interesting.  Apparently, if I'm interpreting the web info
> >correctly, a "blatt" is half a (double) folio page--17a would be the
> >left-hand side (or, I suppose, the right-hand side) of folio page 17
> >of the Talmud, and 17b the right (or left?) side of the same folio
> >page, so that's a glatt gemara/gemorah.  This would be a useful
> >(well, occasionally useful) word to have in English.  References to
> >Aristotle's Organon, for example, is given in this same tradition,
> >so De Int. 24b6 is the fourth line of the b side of folio page 24 of
> >"Peri Hermenias" or "On Interpretation" (for some reason usually
> >referred to by its Latin name, "De Interpretatione").  But nobody
> >ever refers to such a page-half as a "blatt Organon", although we
> >could change that if we tried.
> >
> >LH
> >
> >On Feb 6, 2015, at 9:39 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> >
> > > In Chaim Potok's 1967 "The Chosen," the protagonist and
> > antagonist are assigned the Talmud in units of blatt
> > (
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_16Biez3&d=AwICaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=pdTNzspoLHYG9ZkGhLX-korIYn9xLs5MlLyzormUnbA&s=KKJD9WkOiP-bAjfIPtvOIyr5Sba3aoaXh_Ac3aPK7_s&e=
> > ).
> > >
> > > The word comes up a number of times in Google Books, often as
> > "blatt gemorah," but Wiktionary and the Oxford Dictionary site have
> > it only as a German word.
> > >
> > > Benjamin Barrett
> > > Formerly of Seattle, WA

> [...]

L.
Please reply to imwitty at gmail.com
This e-mail is a natural product.  The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.