[Ads-l] Albanians

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 19 20:56:48 UTC 2015

I've had relatives (including my brother) and friends who lived in Albany, CA, adjacent to (and cheaper real estate than) Berkeley.  I couldn't remember if residents there are Albanians--here's some relevant debate:

http://patch.com/california/albany/poll-all-bany-or-al-bany-you-tell-us

Apparently the town itself can be either /aelb at ni/ or /Olb at ni/ and the residents can be Alb/ei/nians (like those on the Adriatic) or Alb/ae/nians ("All-BANN-ians").  Or Albany-ites.  Who knew?  (Nice to see a bit of IPA in the Comments section, anyway.)

LH