[Ads-l] "off the cuff" antedated to 1934

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 24 14:22:55 UTC 2015

At 2/24/2015 07:47 AM, Amy West wrote:

>Because I am Captain Obvious, the racetrack tip cite and the credit
>sense really seem connected to me with the development of the use of
>paper shirt cuffs (which comes in the 'teens?) and so the
>possibility of writing things on the cuffs.
>
>---Amy West

It was so obvious I didn't add it to my message!  :-)  Truthfully, I
wasn't sure enough to assert anything.  My memory suggests something
like bar patrons writing their tabs on their cuffs.  Similar to
tavern-keepers keeping patrons' running tabs chalked on the wall in
the 18th century?

Joel