[Ads-l] "fourth dimension" is not "time" to the OED?

Jeff Prucher 000000b93183dc86-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Mon Jan 5 00:56:24 UTC 2015

The OED's definition for "fourth" states that it has not yet been fully updated since 1897; the "fourth dimension" part looks like it was added in OED2, and presumably therefore dates from the Burchfield supplements (1972-86). I don't know why Burchfield omitted the "time" aspect, though. Possibly it wasn't well-established at that time, or not enough for the editors to think it meritted a separate entry, or it was established but they didn't have many citations for it. (I'd vote for the third, but that's just a guess -- I'm pretty sure fourth dimension=time was pretty common in SF by that time.)

Jeff Prucher